Posts for tag: periodontics
Periodontal disease is a dental problem that affects a large percentage of American adults. Many patients are surprised to learn that it affects up to half of adults over the age of 30 and up to 70% of seniors who are 65 or older (CDC statistics). Without proper dental care, periodontitis can lead to serious oral care and even general health issues. Find out the periodontal treatment options that are available at Blue Ridge Dental in Mount Airy, NC.
What Causes Periodontal Disease?
Poor dental hygiene is the main reason why people develop periodontal disease. You must brush and floss regularly to keep the levels of good versus bad bacteria in your mouth in balance. When there's an imbalance and bad bacteria overwhelms the gums, that bacteria begins to attack the bone tissue causing periodontal disease. The gums become visibly inflamed, painful and may begin to separate from the teeth, which can lead to tooth loss.
Periodontal Treatment Options
Here are the most common solutions for periodontitis that are available at your Mount Airy dentist office:
- Deep cleaning beneath the gum line.
- Antibiotic therapy to eliminate bad bacteria.
- Bone grafting to rebuild bone tissue.
- Bite adjustment if there is stress on your teeth, causing them to move or loosen.
Avoiding Gum Disease in the Future
Periodontal disease is avoidable. Take these important steps to ensure that you never have a problem with gum disease again after it's treated:
- Be meticulous about your brushing and flossing habits. Flossing in particular is important because it removes plaque from around the gumline.
- Reduce your consumption of sugar and eat a diet that's richer in green leafy vegetables, calcium to strengthen bone tissue and crunchy fruits like apples and pears.
- Quit smoking because the tar can accelerate the growth of bad bacteria.
- See your dentist at least once every three months for check ups and maintenance after you have had periodontal treatment.
Get Treatment Right Away
If you have any of the symptoms of periodontal disease, it's important that you get treatment as soon as possible. Call Blue Ridge Dental in Mount Airy, NC at (336) 789-5306 today to set a time and date for an exam.