Periodontal Treatment Options
Your mild gum disease (gingivitis) may lead to aggressive periodontitis, tooth loss and serious health problems. At Blue Ridge Dental in Mount Airy, NC, Dr. G. Bennett Smith and Dr. Lynette Smith provide periodontal treatments that really work. They can help you regain full oral health.
The symptoms of gum disease
Bleeding gums is the primary indicator, says the American Academy of Periodontology (AAP). More quickly than you think, this mild sign of gingivitis progresses to:
- Puffy, tender, red gum tissue
- Receding gums
- Dental sensitivity (pain when biting down or consuming hot or cold foods)
- A long tooth appearance due to uncovered tooth roots
- Loose, gapped teeth
- A changed dental bite
- Sores on the gums and pus between teeth
- Bad breath which is consistently strong and unresponsive to mouth rinses or tooth brushing
Also, your dentist at Blue Ridge Dental observes gum disease during a routine exam, measuring gum pockets with a tiny probe. Pockets, or sulci, are diagnostic for periodontitis when they are deeper than three millimeters.
Periodontal treatments at our Mount Airy office
Recommendations to resolve gum problems vary according to patient need. Thankfully, they can achieve good results when you adhere to a maintenance plan at Blue Ridge Dental.
1. Deep cleaning and root planing removes extensive deposits of plaque and tartar between teeth and well below the gum line.
2. Antimicrobial medications speed healing and help gums re-attach to root surfaces.
3. Adjustment of your dental bite with a mouth guard, crowns or a periodontal splint. Typically, splints are thin strips of metal bonded to the backside of selected teeth to stabilize and support them.
4. Oral hygiene at home must include daily flossing and twice a day tooth brushing with a soft brush. Your dentist may advise an anti-plaque mouth rinse, too.
5. Stop tobacco usage.
6. Drink water to increase your saliva production and keep tooth surfaces and soft tissues clean and hydrated.
7. Begin a healthier diet to include fresh vegetables and fruit and high-fiber cereals and breads.
When patients suffer tooth loss due to periodontitis, our dentists evaluate them for dental implant placement. Grafting may precede implant procedures if tests show sufficient bone in the jaw to support dental implants.
Learn more about gum disease
You can get ahead of gum problems when you recognize and treat them. At Blue Ridge Dental in Mount Airy, NC, our periodontal treatments work. Dr. G. Bennett Smith and Dr. Lynette Smith want all their patients to enjoy vibrant oral health. Call us today for a consultation: (336) 789-5306.