Posts for: October, 2018
Crowns are vital for restoring your dental health. Often confused with veneers, crowns are quite different. Veneers adhere to small areas, but crowns cover the whole tooth.
More About Crowns in Mount Airy, NC
Crowns improve your smile and protect your teeth. Often referred to as caps, crowns are used to cover unappealing teeth after undergoing restorative procedures, like root canals and dental implants. They are synthetic porcelain caps placed over teeth to help reinforce weakened teeth and hide aesthetically unflattering teeth.
Unsightly teeth can also result from:
- Serious traumas that result in cracks, chips, fractures, or dents
- Poor dental hygiene leading to cavities and severe decay
- Yellowed or stained teeth because of smoking, chewing tobacco, or aging
Crowns are used for several procedures, such as:
- Attaching bridges
- Covering implants
- Preventing complete dislodge of loose fillings
Dental Crown Procedure
- Your Mount Airy doctor prepares your tooth so that it may fit under your crown.
- An impression of your tooth is taken and sent to a lab where a custom-designed crown is manufactured (you'll receive a temporary crown until your permanent crown is ready).
- Your doctor will cement the crown cap over the tooth.
Caring for Dental Crowns
There are several things you can do to maintain a healthy oral regiment and prolong your crowns, which may last up to eight years or longer.
- Maintain a hygienic oral regimen to avoid plaque buildup and cavities by brushing and flossing
- Wear a nightguard if you suffer from bruxism, teeth grinding
- See your dentist twice a year for professional cleanings
- Change your toothbrush when bristles become frayed
Need a consultation?
For more information on dental crowns, call Dr. Bennett and Lynette Smith, in Mount Airy, NC, at (336) 789-5306 today!